Our last production was Stage Door by Edna Ferber and George S Kaufman, and directed by Aidan Steer. Performances took place on Wednesday 23 to Saturday 26 October at Chestnut Grove Academy.
Set in the mid-1930s, this witty comedy concerns a group of women who have come to New York City to find work as actors and performers. The play is set in The Footlights Club – a boarding house run by ex-actress Mrs Orcutt.
The Broadway life is all here: the desperate round of auditions and agents; the sudden closing of a show that should have been a meal ticket for months; the opportunistic romances and the emotional breakdowns.
Stage Door has a large cast with a wide range of roles: aspiring actresses – some more talented and dedicated than others; young and not-so-young ‘gentlemen callers’; a movie magnate and an idealistic young playwright who sells out to Hollywood.
- Aidan Steer – Dr Randall
- Aisling Leow – Kaye Hamilton/Ellen/Tony
- Amelia Allan – Bobby Melrose
- Barbara Jennings – Mrs Orcutt
- Bill Boyd – Adolph Gretzl
- Caitlin Carey – Bernice Niemeyer
- Chris Paxton – Jimmy Devereaux/Larry Westcott
- Doug Dunn – Keith Burgess
- Gabriella Chamberlain – Jean Maitland
- Gertrud Goddard – Madeleine Vauclain
- Ify Ugboma – Judith Canfield
- Jenni Hardwick – Louise Mitchell
- Jools Hutchings – Olga Brandt
- Judith Moeckell – Mattie
- Kim Goldsmith – Susan Paige
- Matt Brown – Fred Powell/Billy
- Rachel Smith – Terry Randall
- Seb Keenan – David Kingsley
- Stephanie Kendrick – Mary
- Steve Tanner – Lou Milhauser
- Tom Browne – Sam Hastings